North Platte River 2 or 3-day Canoe Trips (general itinerary)
Here’s a sample itinerary at a glance…it may vary depending on your individual guide and length of trip.
- Day 1: Meet your guide staff at the Pick Bridge put-in located north of Saratoga, WY. Enjoy a continental breakfast before packing your dry bags, loading the gear in the canoes, & running a car shuttle to the takeout. You will return to the put-in & participate in the safety talk & paddle instructions before launching.
- Paddle downriver until approximately noon & enjoy lunch on the river’s edge, maybe catching a glimpse of eagles, pelicans, beavers, deer or antelope. Learn about some of the river’s geology & history from your guides or throw your fishing rod in for a quick catch.
- After lunch, continue paddling & having water fights (optional) until roughly 3 p.m. & make camp under the many cottonwood trees that provide shade (depending on campsite availability).
- Late afternoon on the first day is devoted to setting up your tent and possibly fishing, or relaxing, playing, or floating in the river. Trout fishing is very good & the guides will help you cook any fish that you might catch. Please note that you must have a Wyoming fishing license--we suggest a 2 or 3-day license that can be purchased in Saratoga.
- Feel free to take a bath in the river & Happy Hour begins at 5:30 p.m. where hors d'oeuvres and wine will be served.
- Dinner is served around 7 p.m. followed by campfire activities that may include games, singing, western tall tales, or guitar playing.
- Day 2: Continue paddling through the high-walled canyons, wide-open meadows & lush river bottom. You will cross the historic Overland Trail where pioneers traveled to settle the West.
- Last Day: After a hearty breakfast, you will paddle the remaining distance to the takeout. Arrival time is generally between 2-4 p.m. after lunch on the last day of the trip, allowing time to return home.