Yampa River Itinerary 3-day
Yampa River 3-day Canoe Trips (general itinerary)
Here’s a sample itinerary at a glance…it may vary depending on your individual guide.
- Day 1: Meet your guide staff at the designated South Beach put-in, located 3 miles southwest of Craig, CO. Enjoy a continental breakfast before packing your dry bags, loading the gear in the canoes, and running a car shuttle to the Duffy Mt. takeout. You will return to the put-in & participate in the safety talk & paddle instructions before launching.
- Paddle downriver until approximately noon and enjoy lunch on the river’s edge, maybe catching a glimpse of eagles, hawks, deer, elk or antelope. Learn about some of the river’s geology and history from your guides.
- After lunch, continue paddling, having water fights, and taking photographs until roughly 3 p.m. when you will make camp under the many cottonwood trees that provide shade (depending on campsite availability).
- Late afternoon on the first day is devoted to setting up your tent and possibly taking a short hike, relaxing, or playing and floating in the river.
- Feel free to bathe in the river and Happy Hour begins at 5:30 p.m. where hors d'oeuvres and wine will be served.
- Dinner is served around 7 p.m. followed by campfire activities that may include games, singing, western tall tales, or guitar playing.
- Day 2: Continue paddling through the high-walled canyons, wide-open meadows and lush river bottom.
- Day 3: After a hearty breakfast, you will paddle the remaining distance to the takeout. Arrival time is generally between 2-4 p.m. after lunch on the last day of the trip, allowing time to return home.